I Forge Iron

Brooks wooden anvil mold pattern

I'm sure Josh has lots of Fisher wooden mold patterns for several Fisher anvils, but I had never seen a name brand anvil mold pattern up to now.

I thought this was the coolest thing, and was very surprised to see how cheap the set sold for. It was advertised as "book ends"! Not sure if no one was paying attention to them because of the title, or if people just didn't know what they really were.

The two halves have the hardy blank in them as well. I have seen a set of larger Brooks anvil mold patterns for a 2.5 cwt weight anvil that were around 31" long, but they were selling for huge money.

This front and back set are for the little 26kg anvil, 15" long and 7" high. Perfect to adorn my dusty bookcase. :)
It would be neat to find that actual matching anvil from these molds. I have seen that size Brooks anvil, but the "ENGLAND" is above the "26KG" in vertical layout.

Brooks6.jpg

The Fisher & Norris Factory Museum has about 50 of the original patterns for anvils, sawmakers, swage blocks and stands.  I found it absolutely amazing that they existed, and that I was able to preserve them.  Todd, you pattern is way cool.  Great find.  Now you have to find a foundry that can pour steel and make one(or more).  Another idea, many foundries can pour bronze.  It would make a very cool anvil to get one done in bronze.  Definitely one of a kind.

I wanted to cry dishing out the bread for my 150lb TFS. I want a lot of things. However I hate spending money. I'm a broke college kid. I also think if they could be cast, cleaned up on your own, and then have them heat treated for a reasonable price, then there is a potential business venture there. I also have no idea what any of that would cost. I don't imagine it would be cost effective unless you bought many of them. For $10'a pound or less I bet they would sell tho. I would start saving up anyway.

Attached below is a pic I saved of the large 2.5 cwt Brooks mold pattern I saw.
Almost 31" long and 14" high, very cool, but at the $1250 asking price for the set was crazy amounts of money.

I'm quite happy at $79.99 for my set of "wooden anvil bookends". :)

post-25745-0-38110400-1416406825_thumb.j