I Forge Iron

Little Giant 25 lb overhaul

I've finally gotten a Little Giant 25, (new style) bringing her home next weekend. It has sat outside unused for a number of years so I am planning a complete teardown and rebuild. It is freed up; the crank turns and the slide is not stuck. Anyone have some advice on what I should look for and do to get her back to usable condition? See the attached pic; yes the sassafras tree was growing around it.

sorry about the motor! When I was getting my Champion's original motor checked out the motor shop told me that If I switched to a modern motor I would probably need to buy one with a higher HP rating than the original as the old large frame ones had more torque due to the larger size of the armature. (they suggested 1.5 x HP of the old one)

Well you'll end up inspecting everything with something that has been sitting there that long.

Is the flywheel all there? Can't tell from the picture, but whatever is there looks smaller than the clutch pulley.
Once you pull it all apart, you'll have to check the wear on all the linkage arm holes, linkage pins, main bearings, clutch bearings, clutch blocks, pitman bushings, toggle arm bushings, etc. Check the main shaft for pitting.

Are the dies ok? Is the sow block dovetail slot ok?

This is not a quick or cheap rebuild to get it to working condition. Be prepared for a lengthy project. I'm finding that out first hand, and my 25# LG started in better condition than what I'm seeing in your picture.

I'd like to see another picture, looks like some sort of a brake on your hammer? I see a linkage rod from the treadle up to the flywheel area...

Thanks for the replies. It is all there, I'm still not having much luck getting photos online. I'm expecting a complete teardown and rebuild. I'm a Tool & Die maker by trade so I can make parts if needed. The brake is home made, as far as I can tell. The dies look okay but they are rusty. I'm going to need a motor too. Thanks again for all your help

Ben

Most dies were for sharpening plow shares. The bottom was larger than the top go to matching flat dies and use spring tools.
As for rebuild at a class years ago a new spring was always the recomended thing. The pins will be crankshafted and holes worn oval. Ream the hole and make new pins to fit holes. There may be enough shims so you don't need to replied the habit if lucky. There are several videos on LG rebuilding.