I Forge Iron

Just signed up

Steve Sells

I figured I should log in, and start posting here too.

I am in Ft Wayne Indiana, 44 years old, father of 2, and have a 3 yr old grandson. Started blacksmithing over 15 years ago, about half my forge work is making pattern welded blades. I have 3 guys learning under me, in addition to my 12 yr old son. I smith under the name of Fenris Forge, after a having alphabet soup for a url I finaly got a domain going last winter: fenrisforge.com

I think damascus is fun, and thanks to people like JPH I have a few patterns I do well, and have had some comerical success as a bladesmith. I prefer making historical blades from Europe and the middle east.

My day job is as an Electrician, I am also an EMT and instructor for the American Red Cross, as well as teach Jujitsu.

thats enough about me,

Steve,
You have a web site that has been very skillfully put together.
Not only does the quality your work look excellent, but I believe one of your most impressive operational high lights is that your son is included.
You are a very fortunate man to have a son who is interested in your passion.
And your son is fortunate to have a father who will spend time with him and mentor him.
Oh, I almost forgot; Welcome to IFI.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

thanks for the welcome everyone. My son is a part time smith, but I enjoy having him in the shop. He is good at hand sanding and polish.

Testing the blades at the quench tank, a file to comfirn a harden, then after tempering a over night freeze then temper #2. then the 1/2 inch rod test, chopping some wood and then shave the hair on my arm.

not very high tech, but seems effective fo far. :D

Steve

Steve,
You have a web site that has been very skillfully put together.
Not only does the quality your work look excellent, but I believe one of your most impressive operational high lights is that your son is included.
You are a very fortunate man to have a son who is interested in your passion.
And your son is fortunate to have a father who will spend time with him and mentor him.
Oh, I almost forgot; Welcome to IFI.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

thank you very much, I work at the web site adding bits here and there. As for my work, I see things with my blades that no one else notices. so I keep at it trying to get better.

I agree I am very lucky to have a son that wants to spend time with me :) Too many men dont have that luxury.