I Forge Iron

Need help Used Buffalo Forge

petehdgs

I purchased a used Buffalo Forge.  It is 28x42 with a fire pot on one side.  The firepot is cracked and the forge is not lined.  It came with a variable speed blower that i have sent out for repair.  It was working before but the person I bought it from broke the wires on the field during disassembly. 

The firepot is cracked and a new one is available for $500.  Should I replace it?

I need advice as to set-up and care of this forge. 

I know the pan should be lined with firebrick.  Should the fire pot be lined?

Would castable refractory like Mizzou or the lighter version it  (forgot name?) be acceptable? 

Gotta go now, be back later this evening. 

post-53161-49710_thumb.jpg

The Centaur Vulcan is a direct replacement for the Buffalo firepot and costs $300:

http://www.centaurforge.com/Centaur-Vulcan-Firepot-with-Dumping-Ashgate/productinfo/VD/

Neither the pans nor the firepots of those forges are designed to be lined with firebrick or fireclay, they are meant to be used as is.  It's the goofy little rivet and farmer's forges without a firepot that are meant to be lined.

Hey Pete; I have a car with a non-working engine; should I repair it or should I buy a new one for a couple of thousand?

Can't really tell if this is a "yes spend US$50 and replace the spark plugs" or a "5 thrown rods and a bent crankshaft---replace the engine" type of problem.

I have a large forge with a cracked firepot that I haven't replaced in over 30 years; as it doesn't get much use and it's fine for the stuff I use it for.  I haven't a clue how you plan to use yours, how much, or the location and extent of the crack so the only answer I can give is *YES*; *NO*; *MAYBE*!

As to lining the bed of the forge clay from the local creek would work fine the bed doesn't see much "use" in the forging process.  As to lining the firepot---don't they were designed not to be lined and liner stuff can contribute to clinker.

It looks good. For years, I've been lining my hearths with concrete, a 3 part sand to 1 part Portland. Take it to the top level of the firepot flange. I learned this from my old-school horseshoeing instructor in 1964. We had a dozen student forges all lined this way. It's more for hearth protection and ease of coning up your fire...doesn't have much to do with heat problems.

Greetings Pete,

Nice forge....   You might consider just drilling a small hole at the base of the firepot crack...  This procedure many times limits the crack and will last for years..  I have also lined the forge with firebrick close to the firepot and fill in as Frank said ...  Works great..   Have fun with your new toy it will serve you well...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Oh you can buy the firebrick from Tractor Supply