I Forge Iron

grizzly 2x72 question

Mmm0513

Hey guys, hope this is in the right spot. Just got the grizzly put together and profiled a knife tonight. What a massive difference from the 1x30 haha! The only thing, on the curves of the handle part and all, what are you supposed to do? On the 1x30 I could use that top wheel to grind a nice even curve. Does everyone just use the side of the belt on the platen to ease into the curves? It seems like maybe you could put a small wheel attachment or something on the buffer arm instead of a buffer? Hopefully this made sense to someone. Thanks

Matt

One option would be a curve radius on the platen. They are fairly common and work fairly well, but they are hard on belts. Find a curve the size you like and bolt it on.
I added a spindle sander fairly early on in my knifemaking. You can get many sizes and grits for the sleeves and eliminates having to change set ups on your grinder.
I had no luck using the off-end of my Grizzly for anything but buffing.
Let us know what you end up doing :)
Dave

I think the spindle sander is the way to go. Until then, I'll make due with the 1x30 on small curves. I saw a guy on youtube slide a 1" sanding barrel on the buffer arm of the grizzly but there's no way I'm putting that kind of pressure on that arm.