I Forge Iron

Fire Place Tools

I wire brush then heat (usually with a torch) til blue, then spray with a clear finish. Beeswax, or other waxes or oils are good. But I would not use motor oil. The end of the poker I usually just leave as is for about 6". Any finish you apply here will just burn off anyway and the first few times of use will most likely smoke up the room after it was used and placed back on the rack/holder. Would like to see them. Pictures please. :)

so m.b you managed to buy an anvil then??, last I heard you were $ 60 bucks short at a sale to get just one, then looking for a couple for a grand, but hadnt had much luck deciding which manufacturer to go for...

hows the iron smelt going? -

youll be doing real good to make those 5 sets of fireplace tools before christmas! - alot of skilled work in making them, you must be a real quick learner - I must have missed the post where you eventually managed to buy an anvil, sorry.

saw an artical on how to make a TROLL real easy without to much experience, will post it when I get a chance. I look forward to seeing some pics of all these projects.

I didn't get an anvil, but i rigged some thick and heavy duty metal up for my anvil, works like an anvil, plus the vise that i got from my grandpa is part anvil. So, I kind of have an anvil. The run didn't happen cuz it got rained on, or out. I've practiced twists and bending, and from the experience so far, making the fireplace tools, just haven't seemed difficult for me I guesss.

Yeeeaaahh, ok, right - perhaps you should stick a new digi camera lead on the christmas list?? :)

you should have a do at pattern welding a knife or somthing for your next project, (it sure sounds like you learn faster than the rest of us !) welded bike chain looks real nice (with the decarb layers) - just get it pleanty hot, flux a bit and tap it untill the weld takes, then forge to blade shape. After a grind and etch it makes a real pretty metal.