I Forge Iron

Guillotine set tool.

DSW

Don't know what else to call this. When I made all the heeled tenons for my forge base, I had the power hammer at the college to help neck down the tenons, or the shop assistant to strike for me. I don't have that luxury at home though. SO i decided to make up a guillotine tool that takes the place of using a set hammer to start drawing things out and cleaning up some of the tenon after I notch the bar,

2"x2"  1/4" wall tube with 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" solid for the dies. I drilled out the corners, then took the jig saw to the center to remove the majority of the material, Then milled the remainder down after I filed out the weld seem on the inside. I'd had enough filing by hand for the day already... The I just had to knock off the corners some to deal with the radius on the tube, and I milled down the face of 2 sides slightly so I had a bit more play and things didn't bind at all when I moved the upper die, I'll case harden the dies a bit later. Tube is welded to some 3/8" plate cut 3" x 3" and I added a piece of 1" solid to fit the hardie hole on my 130 lb anvil ( new one hadn't shown up yet).

post-25608-0-02503300-1407634403_thumb.j  post-25608-0-91265800-1407634418_thumb.j  post-25608-0-77678200-1407634433_thumb.j