I Forge Iron

Steel plate for tuyere?

arkie

I am currently using a brake drum forge.  For my tuyere I have had several arrangements; rods tack welded across the opening, cast iron drain plates, 1/4" steel discs with holes, etc. but none have been satisfactory.  The cast iron drain plates worked pretty good, but most times when I dug out the clinkers, they would stick to the plate and the whole thing would come out!!  Kill fire, clean out drum, clean out plate, replace, rebuild fire....arghhh.

I was considering cutting out a disc of steel plate, 1/2" thick to cover the entire drum bottom, with holes for air flow.  Has anyone used a thick plate like that on their drum forges, and did it last very long?  I know some of you have made firepots of 1/2" steel and they seem to be holding up for you.

Greetings Arkie,

You can purchase a nice plate on E Bay for your forge that is case and domed for about 16.00..  A piece of 1/4 plate will work just fine and last a long time .  You can use the picture of the cast one that's sold to form your own...  Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Jim, thanks for the info.  I'm surprised that 1/4" would hold up very long.  I didn't give my 1/4" disc a long run.  Had other problems with it and changed over after a very short while.  It may have worked out OK after all.  I've got plenty of 1/4" plate, but would have to scrounge up the 1/2".

A thin plate within reason will last quite a while because the air draft cools it so clinker can't weld itself to it. Another trick is to taper the slots or holes wider at the bottom. With the openings tapering wider all you need to do is give clinker a good rap with the poker and as soon as it moves it'll just fall through.

Frosty The Lucky.

A thin plate within reason will last quite a while because the air draft cools it so clinker can't weld itself to it. Another trick is to taper the slots or holes wider at the bottom. With the openings tapering wider all you need to do is give clinker a good rap with the poker and as soon as it moves it'll just fall through.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, that's a good tip!  Possibly another benefit of the tapered slots/holes is that the taper narrowing upwards would slightly increase the air velocity.