I Forge Iron

Chimney design question

WIll this work? From foor to top of the roof is 16 feet. the chinney will go up the wall about 6 or 8 feet off the top of the forge table, then elbow out the wall then elbow up again and go to 4 feet above roofline. Stovepipe is 10 inch single wall. the opening in the chimney for the side draft is less than the area of the ID of the pipe.

3906.attach

It'll work, not as well as a straight pipe but it'll be okay. Put the elbow as high as possible while maintaining a safe distance from the ceiling. Outside use one of the flap vented "T" fittings rather than the elbow. They're designed to keep cold air from backdrafting down your chimney. It's similar to a smoke shelf in effect and function.

Frosty

Way back when I still burned coal, I had to do the dog leg thing out the side since the land lord didn't want a hole in the roof. It worked very well. Even with it at a slight angle, it still collected soot and ash that needed attention every once in a while.

You might also try running straight through the wall at the height of the forge (start your side draft there.) This is a trend I have seen to help get the chimney outside as soon as possible, especially for schools that operate in hot weather. You basically run the chimney to the ground outside the building and tee into it. It should be easier to clean out than trying the horizontal run up higher, especially if you put a an access door on the outside below the T.

Mine makes a 90 turn right out of the hood to go outside, then another 90, it draws good once it gets hot. I light a few wads of news paper in it to heat it up just as i'm about to light the coal to help get it going.

I know it doesnt draw as fast as some of the straight up ones that i've seen, but its good enought for me.

Lt

I'm building one this way. My wall is cinderblock for the bottom half, and wood for the top. I'm sending it through a knocked out block so that I don't have to isolate heat from the wood. I have a taller roof, and I'm using 12" diameter pipe. The larger diameter should help get around the corners a bit. 12" was strongly recommended to me, so you might try that if you havn't purchased materials, yet.

There are some things you can play with if you want a different performance. Insulating the outdoor chimney would help keep it warm, insulating it inside would keep the shop cooler. Different caps will also impact the draft. I'm going to try the low loss design shown on anvilfire.