I Forge Iron

Charcoal?

hard wood charcoal..
you can make it your self, or buy it at places that sell bbq charcoal.. just grab a bag or two of the natural stuff. NOT BIRQUETTES
have fun mate, if you want to do small runs you can stick scrap wood in a metal can with a lid with a few holes in it, and cook it over a fire until it stops smoking..

Why pay several times the cost of buying it at Wal-Mart to buy it off the internet?

Only time to not go with a local source is when you can buy it in 40# sacks from the manufacturer directly. (Or at a mark-up from a restaurant supply store that carries it for BBQ caterers...)

The internet is a lousy place to buy a lot of stuff when you consider shipping and time into prices.

Rains fire; must be nice to live somewhere where you don't have to drive 100 miles each way to get to a place where you can buy stuff that the Wal-Mart has 5 miles away. Course we now get the folks who have to drive 100 miles to get to our Wal-Mart, I've talked to them on their "monthly" trip to town...

Costco has proved you can do the same sort of thing without shafting your employees and still do well by your shareholders; but they are 100 miles away from here.

I live in the sticks of oregon.. If you can, stick with the more local solutions.. locally owned hardware stores, whatever.. but this is a charcoal thread.. not economics or politics, so sorry I brought it up.

I just realized how much I like using charcoal over any other fuel, you can make it at home, it burns hot, and doesn't leave clinker..
only downside is how it burns so fast but no biggy.