I Forge Iron

mobile phones dying

Joel OF

Does anyone else have problems with their mobile phone's speaker or microphone due to workshop filings/dust? The speakers on my phone are complete shot and the fabricator I work next to says no one can hear what he says on the phone because his mic is shot.

Mine's in warranty so can be sent off for repair thankfully. I tried squirting air into the gaps to clean off the magnetized junk but alas no joy.

Does anyone else have problems with their mobile phone's speaker or microphone due to workshop filings/dust? The speakers on my phone are complete shot and the fabricator I work next to says no one can hear what he says on the phone because his mic is shot.

Mine's in warranty so can be sent off for repair thankfully. I tried squirting air into the gaps to clean off the magnetized junk but alas no joy.

yup, happened to my old one, good thing it was about time for me to get a new one, from now on i'll be carrying mine in my pocket at all times.

i think it is possible to carefully disassemble the phone and somehow blow the dust out, my first idea is one of those computer dust thingies

The way I found to clean them out was to use a more powerful magnet to attract the chips to itself away from the phone.Where to find ne? The most powerful magnet I have found so far was from an earing for non pierced ears. Scrounging is a helpful addiction.

Another reason to leave the phone in the house

A better reason to leave your phone in the house is to not get bothered by your girlfriend texting you every 5 minutes. Mine's my business phone so I want it on me at all times. Mine's always been in a decent case but the crud still gets in. The fabricator has his in a folding case which goes inside a 1mm steel case he made!

Try the old army trick of packing it in a ziplock bag. You can still use the phone through the bag - but it'll keep even the finest dust out. If you're concerned about noise distortion when talking on it (i.e. the mic picking up crinkling noise from the bag), then use with a wireless headset. The headset may not last as long, but are far cheaper to replace than the phone itself.

The way I found to clean them out was to use a more powerful magnet to attract the chips to itself away from the phone.Where to find ne? The most powerful magnet I have found so far was from an earing for non pierced ears. Scrounging is a helpful addiction.

get one of the magnets from hard disk drives, they're pretty small but one held up a 6-7 lb axle without problems and you better hope you won't get two stuck together, the edges chip before they come apart

I have always cleaned the speaker on my phone with a magnet as well,  Until I got an Iphone.   The magnet killed the speaker of the Iphone first time I used it.   So on my next phone I used a smaller magnet,  It ruined that one too.    I would guess I have killed at least a dozen phones until I found the Lifeproof case.  Since using the Lifeproof I have done pretty well.   Now I destroy lifeproof cases rather than phones.   A case a year is a lot cheaper than two or three phones a year though.

don't waste your money with an otterbox, i bought a defender as it says that it's dustproof. totally not, inside of the screen is filled with a constellation of dust, have shouted and complained at them to get my money back, and they are sending me two different replacement cases to try but i'm thoroughly ticked off with them. Should have got a lifeproof one, my friend has one and it's ace.