I Forge Iron

Pile of nails

I usually start a forging session with a couple three nails to get warmed up, make sure everything is where I need it and the forge is hot enough. Some really rough nails have been produced, then I toss them towards the large speaker magnet on a corner of the vise table and get to work.

Well, the magnet wasn't holding them anymore, the newest nails just bounced off the top of a pile so I pulled them all off, stuck them in large tuna can went back to work. post-182-0-70482600-1405031909_thumb.jpg

Later on, as the forge was cooling down, started counting and sorting by size and ugliness, post-182-0-56278700-1405031935_thumb.jpg

102 Nails, or your average apprentice's work output before breakfast!  Probably another 2 or 3 dozen in use around the shop and the smithy, so not really a stellar output in close to a decade of lazy shadetree smithing, But the last one, in the top of the egg crate isn't half bad.

Starting a session with a couple three nails makes that sound like a decent run of sessions to me. Since the accident I've changed my introductory lesson from a leaf coat hook to nails. Seems that after the kids make about three, their nails are better than mine.

Frosty The Lucky.