I Forge Iron

Stainless Steel hose for propane forge?

SpankySmith

Sorry if this has been answered and it may be a dumb question, but I spent a good amount of time looking and can't find anything on it.      Can I use a standard stainless steel clad LP hose for a propane forge?   My current forge has the burner connection coming out of the top, stands up about 6".  When I'm forging I move the tank over to the left to get it away from the heat, but when I'm done for the day and everything is cool and I'm ready to throw a tarp on it all (outdoor forge), I move the tank over to the right, closer to the forge and cover it all up.  I'm concerned that over time that left-to-right movement is going to over-stress that rubber/plastic hose right at the top fitting.   I have the stainless steel clad hoses all through my house but I'm not sure if they can be used with propane?   

What does your propane dealer suggest?  Most metal flexible hose used for gas that I am familiar with is not designed for constant movement but for rather rare changes.  The well made black hoses are made with vibration/movement in mind.  You are right that putting a load on them is not a good idea and they should be checked; but so far my hoses tend to outlive the forges...

I leak check every time I power up the forge (call me paranoid, guilty as charged), but I already see a kink developing just up from the connection of the line to the burner, just from that left/right movement.  Is there a slip on coiled fitting/protection I can install on that end that might prevent the kinking?