I Forge Iron

D2 HT?

I'm getting some flack from from my lovely wife of 35 yrs on rusty knives. Hey, I can't help it if they're left in the sink. Rust happens. So, to partially alleviate the problem, I'm thinking maybe I should make some D2 blades as I'm not keen on the stainless route presently. So, suggestions please on forging and ht of D2. I do have a ht oven and foil.

Thanks,

John

Is your heat treat oven computerized and can do ramping?

From the ASM Handbook 8th edition:

Normalizing: Not recommended

Annealing 1600-1650 DegF Cooling rate 40 DegF/hour

Hardening:  

Preheat 1500 degF,

Austenitize 1800-1875 degF, Holding time 15-45 minutes,

Quenching medium Air,

Hardness 64 Rockwell C

Then there is a graph of the tempering temp vs hardness

The problem is that you seem to have missed the point of what makes a stainless steel, stainless.  That being more than 12.5% free chome to form the oxides that act to protect the steel.  D2 does have 12% chrome, but most of that chrome is not free, but is bound up in carbides.

I am not nit picking about it, because there is not enough to make the chrome oxide layer that is needed to be a stainless.  Small additions can have a major efect in Metalurgy.

Also I can not post here, so I had to write and load this post elsewhere, then transfer it to the forum, then transfer to the end of tis thread.  I will be happy when its fixed and I can post normal like.

Dang Steve, are you in the blade witness program or what? I have some planer blades and want to use them for experimenting. Not certain they're d2, but am guessing they are as they're off real planers and not Chinese.

Good info that you and Rich have provided. Many thanks. Will post pics asap.

John