I Forge Iron

Little 18th century fire steel

Made this today, based on a picture in Decorative Antique Ironwork by Henry R. D'Allemagne.  It's very small, only 1 1/2"x1 1/8", forged from a coil spring.  There's no scale in the book, so I had to guess at the size based on its relationship to other images on the page, but I think I'm fairly close to the original size.  The small striking area is a little trickier than with bigger strikers, but the compact design is nice and those curls and the space below give plenty of grip.

post-417-0-41069700-1403224475_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-79719800-1403224482_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-91120700-1403224488_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-60392800-1403224497_thumb.jpg

Thanks :)  Doesn't open bottles, but I may have to give that a shot sometime.  Right now I'm working on a striker/ember tong combo.

That's awesome! Now I want to see your mustache bent up into that shape :)

I would be in the running in the freestyle category in a beard and moustache competition!

is that the same category where the dude with the windmill 'stache is?

el google was not tremendously useful, would ember tongs be like a little hold down/clip on the thumb side of the striker to hold a piece of charcloth or other tinder so you don't have to use your thumb?

That's the full beard freestyle.  Usually beards and 'taches are separate categories.

The ember tongs are smaller versions of big pipe tongs, used to pick up a coal to light a pipe.  I posted a set I made a while back that had a box joint and tamper on the handle.  If all goes well, this set will be one piece, acting a bit like tweezers but with one arm left hard for striking.  I'll post it when it's done.