I Forge Iron

Strange new forge

Woggwoo

Hi everyone. I am new to your forum and hope it is okay to start off by asking questions. I am just getting started in blacksmithing and am putting together some shop items. I recently found an interesting forge on Craigslist. More than anything I wanted the blower attached to the forge, but the forge itself looks odd to me. I assume it is a coal forge, but there is a weird burner-like apparatus where the fire pot should be. The forge was made by The Buffalo Forge Co. of Buffalo NY. The blower attached to it was a Otto-Canedy Royal Western Chief. I'm thinking the indentations in the pan of the forge was perhaps to accommodate the original blower? There were remnants of refractory cement in the basin which was cracked and crumbling so I removed it to get a better view of what was what, but I am still befuddled. I have googled and googled but found nothing like this online so I'm sure I'm not using the correct terminology. Anyone have any clue what kind of forge this is?

post-54914-0-57503700-1403197503_thumb.j

post-54914-0-98814500-1403197512_thumb.j

post-54914-0-32912000-1403197521_thumb.j

post-54914-0-90289300-1403197529_thumb.j

post-54914-0-78181500-1403197537_thumb.j

post-54914-0-85054200-1403197545_thumb.j

Hey Wogg- Welcome abaord! If you put your location down, you may find you have a blacksmith nearby!

That forge is a beauty, and it is a coal forge. I've never seen the item by the tuyere (center of the pot) but i'm fairly new here as well. Is the handle hollow?  Maybe some sort of clinker breaker? Hard to think thats what it is though since it would either be under the refractory or right in the fire...
Looking at the indentation, that bump looks like almost a stop for the handle. I can't wait to see what the pros here come up with!

Thanks for the info. The part of the tuyere that shoots off at 90 degrees looks like it was hollow at one point, but its packed with refractory now. It also seems to be diverting the air from the blower to the outside of the ring and not the inside, probably also because its packed up. I'm thinking it might be best to try to take it out of there altogether. If I put refractory back in I foresee a huge mess. Any advice? I also stumbled upon this old catalogue from Buffalo Forge today and it sure looks like the forge on page 7 called the No. 3 Boilermakers' Forge is a match. Looking at the large gears and the lever location, all the mounting holes in my forge are starting to make sense. Those impressions on the bottom must be there for the gears to have clearance.

In the latter half of the 19th century, there was a number of patents on tuyere irons, most of them bottom blast, even though the U.S. was founded with side blast forges. In my old catalog, two duck-nest types are illustrated. One has a round, conical air intake and the other a half round, tapered intake. Currently, most serious work in the U.S. is done with fire pots which average about 4.5 inches deep...or with gas forges.

• 2 weeks later...