I Forge Iron

Removing a plasic handle from a hammer

Well hello everyone. I am very new here as this is my first post. I started working my forge about 5 days ago and I don't have much to work with. I have a 3lb cross peen that has  a plastic handle with a grip and the grip is rather uncomfortable. I would very much like to replace the handle with a wooden one until I can get a better hammer but for now this is all I have. However being that it is a plastic handle it is glued on and has some kind of clear seal on the top of the head. can this be cut and removed like any wooden handle or if I cut it am I pretty much done and without a hammer? 

That's how I would do it as well.

A bit of lite heat with a torch can help soften up the glue, but do it outside due to the fumes from burning plastic. You don't need to add a ton of heat, You don't want to change the temper on the head, just get the plastic hot enough that it becomes workable without setting it on fire and making a mess. A good heat gun would also work.

Note I have seen some fiberglass handled hammers where the eye is quite small and might not be a good candidate to swap out with a wooden handle.  When such hammers wander into my shop they are designated as "loaners" for people wanting to drive tent stakes, break up concrete, etc.

Toothy,
After you get it removed, you can go to www.minnesotafarriers.com/Hammer, there is a good article on re - handling a hammer. It is helpful.
(Note: not sure if an outside link of this type was acceptable, so the above link is not active, but you can cut / paste to google. )

I use a drummel tools with a steel burr bit it works real fast. http://www.amazon.com/Ames-True-Temper-2062300-Replacement/dp/B003Q2RD7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322430770&sr=8-1 these are the fiberglass handles I use. if you want to go back to fiber glass. I use a marine epoxy that attaches fiberglass to metal

Fiberglass isn't really my thing all of my equipment is antique with the exception of my grinder,this hammer and anything I have made myself. I really hate this hammer and can't wait for this years antique engine show  :D. The flea market always has nice goodies. as for what I have now as long as I can swing the thing I will be okay. I am pretty sure what I have is a fiberglass handle or a plastic of some kind and if I can't find a wood handle to fit I really don't wanta break a functioning hammer just because I don't like how it feels. thanks for all the suggestions... I guess I could make a handle... eh another project for another day.