I Forge Iron

New blacksmith wannabe

Ashrod

Hello, I am Ashley Brannen, I have just started on my quest to do some blacksmithing. I just completed my forge build, and have built myself a fire poker to maintain my fire. Very important!!! I bought me a 55# anvil from harbor freight, it's cast iron, and it's soft, but it does the job for now, I also picked up a 4# sledge, and a cross peen. Biggest thing I want to do is learn from others, find a good anvil 100#-150# would probably do good, steel of course. And a connection on blacksmith coke, and maybe some hammers and tongs. I am planning on going to the Vulcan forge meet on Sunday to get some knowledge, connection with equipment, and meet some cool people I'm sure!!! Get it while it's hot!!!

You may want to add your location so we can better answer your questions. For instance we know of a 150 pound anvil for sale but shipping to your location half way across the world may be a deal breaker. Now if you were in the same town ,,,,, or even the same part of the world (grin).

Welcome aboard Ashley, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Bummer about wasting the money on the HF ASO (that stands for Anvil Shaped Object) They're not much good but you CAN use the hardy hole if it's a good size. Good being fits the bottom tools you have or find.

A piece of RR rail is a much better anvil but there are a LOT of alternatives to a London Pattern anvil, we talk about them often. Hopefully someone here will post a link to one of the threads where we did.

Good move hooking up with the local smithing organization. You'll learn more in a couple hours with an experienced smith than you will from days weeks maybe even months on your own. Reading helps but having someone point out your mistakes is priceless. Club meetings will also put you in touch with tools, equipment, materials, fuel etc. at friend prices. . . usually. <wink>

Don't be a stranger here either, we love good questions. We're actually a pretty helpful bunch of characters who LOVE pics.

Frosty The Lucky.