I Forge Iron

Quiet little weekend 2.0

Another quiet little weekend....tink......tink.....tink.....tink.

Windchime is just waiting on some clearcoat (or maybe linseed oil if I feel like waiting forever for it to dry like the screwdriver) and is made from a piece of wire shelving, mooshed pennies, and chain link fence post (yes, took the galvanized off first).

Spearhead's from angle iron, and s'not perfect, but I'm tired of mucking around trying to get the finish right.

The screwdriver, now that was just plain fun. Drawn down from mystery coil spring. Gonna make a few more to match I think, and maybe sell. They look neat and really don't take much to make.

post-36845-0-14375400-1401195502_thumb.jpost-36845-0-42108300-1401195518_thumb.jpost-36845-0-56300700-1401195535_thumb.j

Nobody does it again! (been waiting a chance to say that. <grin>) Dad had my screw driver in his tool box and it may still be there if my Sister hasn't sold it all. A screw driver was one of our first jr. high metal shop projects. Heat it in the forge, two whacks with probably a 2lb hammer and finish on the grinder. Handles were up to us, mine was two leaves of oak, I wanted to do some more on the anvil so the tang just HAD to be spread.

Anyway, screw drivers are excellent projects and who can't use more or special ones.

Looks like you're having fun Spanky, good, really GOOD. The hearts are nice, they could use a little tweaking but all in all they're dandy. I don't recognize the one that looks a little like a script capitol "L". Maybe a cool evolution of the S hook?

Frosty The Lucky.

Sure, stand it on it's side and forge the point down. I find the point of the horn and a ball pein work well but a cross or straight pein work too. The face of a hammer works fine if it has a radiused edge and you roll it to use the edge.

Thinking some more I'll bet a person could use scrolling tongs/pliers and just pinch it to suit. Working hot of course.

And more thinking, you could do almost all the forming with scrolling tongs. Draw the ends to the desired points then fold the stock in half,  close and crease a point. Open the stock making the body of the heart and turn the finial scrolls. A bit of fine tuning and it's a done deal.

Frosty The Lucky.

We'll dig, had an ah ha and then a "Doh!" Moment after reading your reply. I needed to purposely over bend the two curves at the end, past each other, tighten up the bottom angle, then bring the curls back into alignment. Tried it today on a V keychain, worked great. Thanks!

I guess it's okay if you leave the hammer in your hand for those head slappers, seems some of us like square bar or the edge of the anvil. A person couldn't afford too many epiphanies. 

Then again it goes a ways to explaining some of the things said here doesn't it?

Frosty The Lucky.