I Forge Iron

Grandpa's anvil ID?

I have my Grandpa's anvil, and I am curious who made it? I would call it a Farrior's pattern? All I can find on it, is "SOLID WROUGHT" AND "163". Does anyone recognize markings like that? I think #163 is about right, but I am not taking it off the stump to weigh it. I mounted it on there when I was about 14, and made some tomahawks and fire irons.

I am not sure if it was bought by my Grandfather (died 1968 when I was 4) or Great Grandfather, since they farmed together for a lot of years. I threw in a picture of Grandpa on the wagon, and G. Grandpa in the field. It looks like he broke something and has a hammer in his hand.

I hope nobody minds old pictures with no anvil in them, I just think it is cool, to have the owners pictures with any old hardware.

post-25727-0-85664000-1401114555_thumb.j

post-25727-0-00387700-1401114803_thumb.j

post-25727-0-50421000-1401114825_thumb.j

More likely a Trenton because '163' is not CWT like a Peter Wright would mark as. Trenton, however, would use LBS to mark weight and also used the 'solid wrought' stamp. Unless I missed something somewhere where Peter Wright would mark their anvils in LBS instead of CWT...either way, she's a beauty!

-Crazy Ivan

If you can, clean the paint off in the area above 'solid wrought' and look for markings. 163 should be the weight in pounds, is it stamped under the solid wrought? As you are standing infront of the horn, look at the left foot for a S/N.  Look under the horn for a number stamped in.

I have my guess but I am not an expert.

Mark

I will look for more markings later on, I have to go to a parade and a cookout....  I cannot see anything above "solid wrought" (in a straight line) I see PW used it in a circle, at least some of them, maybe some in a straight line too?

Thanks everybody! I can't find any other marking above, or on any foot. Is A&H Arm and Hammer? I have been going to ask about this one, for a long time. It really doesn't matter to me who made it,l it is priceless to me.  I went to an auction Saturday, and came home with 2 anvils, a stake anvil, and a pair of shears, that I wanted to ask about too, I will start a new thread for them.