I Forge Iron

Cutting Flatbar?

Trust me, learned the "let the tool do the work" thing years ago! The cutoff wheel was the best HD had....which likely isn't saying much.

I took the steel to forge council today, they declared it mild steel, cut the other end of the piece I was trying to cut, they used a band saw and it cut easily enough. They asked what tool I tried first (the jig saw), speculated I'd managed to work harden it?

More likely just 'cheap' mild steel ie. Poorly batched product and you hit a tough spot! If you had actually managed to "work harden " mild steel ,you will have found a process that could possibly be worth a pretty penny.

HF is a treat for me to visit when I visit the USA, lots of neat stuff at great prices yet I would not think of it as 'the' place for good quality consumable things like abrasives etc. If you are able try to get Pferd or similar you will be amazed at the difference.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spanky, 

I would like to trade you for some of the flat bar. I have some 28" buzz saw blades (think old movie where Snidely Whiplash, the leading lady and a saw mil), some large cultivator tines I can cut up and some some discs that can be cut in to knives or used as an out door fire pit. The cultivator steel is REALLY hard, this weekend I was using a knife to to split black walnut (by batoning the wood) and the blade still could shave off small strips of wood from the log. All this stuff I got very cheap or free so if you need some blade steel (or a portable fire place) let me know. I can cut the tine steel for you.