I Forge Iron

MultiTool Belt Grinder

I need to buy a belt grinder for my tool making.

I am looking at the 2'' x 28'' grinder attachment seen the picture

post-27777-0-70530800-1399930752_thumb.j

post-27777-0-72441300-1399930763_thumb.j

I am either going to buy the 8'' 3/4HP grinder sold by Harbor Freight as the main grinder to attach it to.

OR

I think I better option would be the mount it to a existing grinder I have (1.5HP), the only issue I have is that I'm unsure about how this thing exactly attaches to the grinder and do not know what I would have to do to accommodate the grinding attachment to the motor.

Does anyone have this tool?

If so could you please post a picture, or explain how how setup works?

Before anyone mentions it, no I do not want to make my own grinder.

post-27777-0-38557100-1399931028_thumb.j

That attachment looks rather sweet.  

I definitely wouldn't recommend that you go below one horse for a motor, though.  It'll just bog down when you lean into it.  

If you've got a 1.5hp, I'm sure there's some way we could jerry rig the whole thing to work relatively safely.

I have one for abouit a decade now And set it up on a HF 3/4 hp motor...I used it in truck when I was shoeing horses for odds and ends needed..I am a custom knife maker and this does not fit into the work at all. The belt selectioon is limited..although you could have some specially made to fit. maybe...and the belt speed is wayyy too fast for most knife work..the contact wheel is too small for a lot of work...If this tool ever gives up i will not replace it. However it is really well made so that may not happen anytime soon.

I have one of these I bought from Trick Tools.  They have the 2" x 36" belts in various grits. The contact wheel gets a little hollow (even when new) but is very aggressive for it's size.  The contraption holds up well but most likely does not compare to higher price machines.  Belt tracking is a bit tricky when you first install.  Decent enough tool for a hobbyist.  Not a bad tool for the price.