I Forge Iron

Anvils South Africa?

Hey all, 

this is my first post. I was just wondering if anyone knew about the 'Anvils South Africa' company that sells anvils. They are in quite good condition (from the pics) and are a little less pricey then a brand new TFS anvil. They are based in Pinetown, Kwa-Zulu Natal, in South Africa. Are they good anvils? After all, they could just be another scam, but i doubt it.

Anyways, if anyone would want to check them out, here they are: anvils.co.za/

•  
  •  
  •  

Welcome aboard glad to have you. Put your general location in the header you might be surprised at how many of the IFI gang are within visiting distance.

At the near bottom of the Iforge home page is the regional organizations sections. Check them out and see if you're close enough to meet up with the locals.

Frosty The Lucky.

Something smells a lot like a sales pitch and not an honest question. Not sure exactly what. Might just be me.

If it barks and smells like a dog..........???

No makes listed, painted all over with what looks like etch primer and expensive (for SA anyway)

Thanks guys,

I just had a closer look at them, and they look like PW's and Mouseholes. The base of some of them have a square edge, indicating that they might be Peter Wright? The others have a Mousehole like base. Oh yeah, Im based in Australia and these anvils seem pretty cheap. (A 150lb was going for about $422.00 AUS)

thanks,

Owen

Thanks guys,

I just had a closer look at them, and they look like PW's and Mouseholes. The base of some of them have a square edge, indicating that they might be Peter Wright? The others have a Mousehole like base. Oh yeah, Im based in Australia and these anvils seem pretty cheap. (A 150lb was going for about $422.00 AUS)

thanks,

Owen

Welcome Owen,

Good to see you have joined IFI. There is so much to be learned here and these experienced guys are very helpful. (And Gromgor, your suspicions about this question not being honest are not correct, I can assure you.)

This young man knows a lot about anvils and I understand his insatiable quest for knowledge of the blacksmith's art. He has worked in my smithy on several occasions and for one of such tender years he shows a great deal of enthusiasm, common sense and passion for forging iron.

I'm pleased he has joined this site and know that he will receive the same encouragement and sound advice as I have. After all, we are all learners to some extent and we need to look after these young aspiring smiths. They are the future of this art.

Fif02, I think its your lack of location that makes one question?

Funny that!!!! even after Frosty asked you?

Anyhow I'm very pro brooks anvils. Those anvils should fetch about half that(based on current market) and I would sell a 150kg at about us$200  and be happy

Ian