I Forge Iron

Thai smith's hammer

VaughnT

Some time back we had some videos showing Thai smiths at work and I was very curious about their hammers.  They looked like your typical "japanese" hammer in that the head was off-center, but the head looked to be stuck into the handle instead of the other way around.  Of course, freezing the video and trying to examine a single screen shot wasn't very helpful in determining how the hammers were constructed and I couldn't find any photos on the net.

Well, guess what just popped up for sale on ebay?  Yep.  And a lot of good photos that show how the head is actually constructed and attached to the handle.

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

This shot clearly shows the head is held to the shaft with some type of mastic.  Maybe their version of pitch glue, though it could be any modern epoxy, too.

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

Again with the epoxy material.  Looks like they wrapped the socket for the handle to slip into, but that could also be a fortuitous remnant from whatever they repurposed to make the head.  Maybe a piece of flat stock forge-welded around the plug that makes the face?

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

Very neat way of making a hammer. 

Never seen anything like it, very neat. Considering the rear of the head is hollow and the handle's angle begins behind that, this would be an extreme example of a weight-forward design. Primitive as it is they might be on to something there.