I Forge Iron

tulip railing

here is a railing I did many moons ago. like all my work, its all done by hammer in hand. no power tools. there was about 80' of rail.

the tulip was done from, I believe 1/2" x1". it consists of 5right angle bends and a forge weld. there were 40 some panels.

the layout if the tulip was done on my table and all right angles were figured by adding 1/2. the thickness to each side of the bend.

when all 40 some were layed out and center punched, I scarfed the ends for a forgeweld. then did the right angles and scrolling. forgeweld was last all 40 were identical.

in the 2' sample there are 19 forgeweld which had to be done very close tolerance.

sorry for the poor quality pics. they are taken with my smartphone and the orig is been rode hard and put away wet.

a special thanks to all who have guided me in our fine craft.

post-2560-0-67018600-1399766791_thumb.jp

post-2560-0-80497500-1399767215_thumb.jp

Nice railing Anvil. A good example of what you were saying about bends.

It can be hard to explain or even describe techniques we use regularly. Having to describe just why I do a thing the way I do is one of the most valuable aspects of teaching for me, I tend to learn more than the student.

The code being referred to is a building code often known as the 4" rule saying railings can have no opening greater than 4" so kids can't jam their heads through and get trapped.

Frosty The Lucky.

I believe the bottom stringer is 20". the top running scrolls and cap are 24". inside to inside of c scrolls to oval is 4".

thanks, Frosty.

I had a little help on this. a great man in my life asked to be a part of it. he made all the collars. of course I said yes.