I Forge Iron

Using what I have...But am I destroying it?

Adam9

Ok so i work in a sheet metal fabrication shop with most of the regular goodies. But recently I've had some light blacksmithing projects for customers. I'm by no means a blacksmith but i'm learning. To cut to the chase I have a 160 ton dual cylinder press brake. 

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/38184-press1/

And i've been using one side as a forging press. 

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/38185-press2/

Being a dual cylinder press that is 12' long, am I doing damage somehow to the brake by only using one side? It seems to be fine so far, but is stressing one side of it a bad idea? It works great by the way. It will squash a 6" long 1''x1'' bar easily down to 2 inches and it really doesn't seem to notice it's there. 
 Thanks, Adam.

Greetings Adam,

My concern would be safety and the long term effects on the dies..   I know those dies are not cheap and are not made for that local stress and pressure.  As to forging you are limited to what you can accomplish unless you design and build local dies..  Just my 2c

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I missed the 2nd picture with your die..  I would assume if you centered the die it would work but would be hard to control..   Good luck

Hello, Adam,

IF... it is your property, OR.... you have permission to take risks.... then have at it.  All I have is a queasy feeling in my gut, and what Jim Coke Said.  and Read the Equipment Manual,

Robert Taylor