I Forge Iron

Fly press repair

jfifft

Hello,

I have a Adams Fly Press #2 or #3 (guessing by the size) that I have been using for quite some time with no issues, that is until the other day when the rap dropped free from the shaft. I stopped and took the press apart (which is something I have never done) and it showed the threaded insert that is pressed and pinned in the ram as well as the end of the lead screw both have messed up threads. Does anyone have a good solution to fix the problem other than machining new parts?

Thanks in advance!

post-8301-0-60965100-1399299795_thumb.jp

post-8301-0-87109600-1399299805_thumb.jp

That sucks. One thought would be to remove the whole shaft and chuck it up in the lathe and turn the damaged threads off and then either rethread it and make a new die holder to match or turn the threads off and machine a new die holder for a press fit or thermal fit. Just don't weld the die holder onto the screw because the die holders are made to be removable to repair them. One other way would be do drill and tap the end of the screw and make a new die holder with a recessed hole to take a bolt. If you plan on doing some serious punching with this press you'll need a stripper to remove the piece from the punch and this can pull with quit a bit of force on the die holder.

Thanks a bunch,

I noticed a tapered Allen head screw at the end of the lead screw (see pic 2). I tried to remove it but it is locked on solid. It seems it has to be removed before the screw will come out of the press body.

I might try to add a little heat to the screw to get it moving.

Greetings JF,

It looks to me like the allen screw locks the threaded collar to a rounded portion of the screw...  The tool holder where the threads are has a screw lock as well..  I do not see the  problem with removing the threads on the screw with a file and than drilling and tapping another lock screw 180 from the original .  All the thrust  is down and it just does not matter if it is perfect in center with the screw.. The design is so the screw can be installed and removed.. Just my  take on what ya got.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I am working on getting theat stubborn allen scrw out. I have tried tapping it gently with a hammer, adding some heat and soaking it for a few days in a cup of liquid wrench, but no matter what I do it won't budge clockwise or counter clockwise. If I cant get it off I will have to come up with another solution.

Greetings JF,

You might try a hand impact driver..  They work wonders..  What it does is vibrate the threads with a twisting action...  All motorcycle shops have them and are in use daily..  I hope this helps..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Someone on this Forum posted test results showing that a 50/50 mix of acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid as a superior loosening agent. You might try a soak in that.

Impact drivers really make a difference, as Mr. Coke said.

Also, I would say that you no longer have the option of backing the screw out. The threads on the end of the smashed/deformed, so the best thing to do would be to drive the screw in, cut off the damaged part, and then back it out.