I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing bird

arkie

I couldn't resist posting this cute story about something that happened this week regarding my forge.  No hammering involved!

I have a brake drum forge that is about 2' x 4', located in the open, outside my shop.  I usually place a piece of metal roofing over the forge when I'm not using it to keep out the elements and leaves.  With the top on, there is a slot about 4" high that is open on one side.

I had not used the forge for a couple of days and things were quiet around it.  We have some Carolina Wrens that nest each year in various places around our house like old teapots, boxes, etc.  Well, it seems that Mrs. Wren decided to build her nest this year in my forge!!!  Thank goodness the coal and coke were cold!!!  I normally keep the forge full and banked up with coal and coke, but she found an empty corner where I usually stash the clinkers.  She decided that was a perfect place for her nest, protected and all.

The picture tells the rest of the story.....

post-44354-0-69511000-1399254590_thumb.j

They seem to pick the craziest places.  One of their favorites at our place is an old teakettle hanging from the porch.  The painting on the side of the teakettle consists of a couple of life-sized cardinals...go figure.