I Forge Iron

Black 1M Anvil ?

Anyone know what it is ? yes I can load up photos . it is about 200 LB's and is for sale for $285.00 local to me Never heard of one yet it looks like a fine anvile with about 80 to 90 % rebound . I 'll get photos up in a lil bit after Coffee . Grins like a possum !

After A very long time here is the photos of the " BLACK 1 M ANVIL"  the photos are Very Large so I put them on a Host site sorry I did not want them to take up space on here .so here they are :

There are 7 photos here :

http://imgur.com/yBJdAMM,g4WAMx3,v31j0Pc,mOiUQLB,86PaBg3,KHLvqaT,tqkWJbF

Please lete me know what you know about this anvil and what you think about it I am in the process of getting it . it has 80 to 90 % rebound and appears to be in good shape .

Thank You and Best Regards and Blessings

this is what I have found so far about the anvil :

The Anvil had what looked to be a “V” or inverted  pyramid and a large “M” on the other side.  I did some research and found out this was a historically significant anvil.  It was a “Columbian” which were manufactured in Cleveland, Ohio from about 1903 to 1925.  They were the first anvils to be “Cast Steel” in one solid piece.  Evidently this made them very tough compared to the “Wrought Iron” Anvils made before that were welded from pieces into one Anvil.  They were very popular in their time and while the “Cast” or “tool” or “Crucible” type steel was very expensive it required less labor to finish and it was around this time labor was becoming more expensive than materials so they really took off.  This particular Anvil is of the “London Pattern” and it would be valued at 2-4 bucks a pound….but to me it’s priceless!  They made these from increments in10lbs to 800lbs

Historically significant in what way?  They made a great number of them and that was probably neither the first or last.  Did a historically significant person use it?  (I thought the Swedish cast steel anvils predated Columbians too)  

As I see it if it was historically significant then it should be worth more than another anvil very similar but of a different brand.  I don't think it would bring in more money just because it's a columbian as compared to a sodefors.

The one you are looking at or the one you found in that article on the net?   Big difference between *a* 1961 Lincoln Limousine and *the* 1961 Lincoln Limousine Kennedy was shot in as far as historical significance.

And, unfortunately, the net is a slender reed to rely on---give me an hour and I can have a webpage up claiming that *you* are the lovechild of Elvis Presley and Margret Thatcher.  That article seemed a bit too hyped.  I wonder what they would make of   The Great Nippulini.....

I would still like to see the underside of the base and know what any indentation looked like there.

The anvil shape looks very much like the 3rd style Hay Budden. If the anvil has a number stamped under the horn next to a square handling horn then its a Hay Budden.

I was thinking that as well but even if not is still a nice anvil. Go ahead and buy it. Is a good one.

George

Here is the long awaited # and base photos . I do thank you all for the help that everyone is providing me and the current owner He is still willing to hold it for me during the discovery phase of its history and is enjoying finding out about it we are to meet for the sale some time this week .

so here are the photos ;

4 photos here remember double click and the photos will get very large .thank you again for the help .

http://imgur.com/efB6snu,EUr4YIQ,3xUgx0n,WPPWvyz

Can you read the S/N, I couldn't make it out, but if you can, we can get a manufacture date. The shape doesn't look right for a 3rd style HB to me, I would go second style, not to contradict them that is smarter than me, but it doesn't look like mine, too curvy...

I would be willing to pay the man and keep you from having to stress over the anvil... 

Mark

"discovery phase of its history."  I don't think I ever paid much attention to the history of an anvil when considering a buy.  I'd check the condition including rebound and then buy it or not.

Nary a single project has turned up it's nose if I went to work it on a Fisher rather than a Trenton or Arm and Hammer, or Powell or William Foster or Peter Wright or even just a big hunk of steel.  I know my anvils span at least 100 years (the William Foster is an 1828)  In some ways I am sad that AinA was finally published as folks started raising the prices on anvils for reasons other than they were in better condition than another anvil.

The history one needs to discover I feel should be: Is it a decent Brand?  Is it in good Condition? Is it at a good Price?

The # on it is:  "06095" sorry i thought I put it in my post the feller rubbed chalk in the numbers after he took the photo . The one mark looks like an O with a tick off to the side of it making it look like an foreign "Q"

It has been commented that this anvil is "it is a mark by Columbus Forge and Iron works for a wholesaler in St. Louis. These are very good anvils, though; the house brand name is Trenton. If it was made after 1927 it will have a forged top half arc welded to a mild steel base. If prior to then it'll be a standard steel-faced wrought anvil." This Quote comes from a very Respected Smith and Archeologist with in the Community .

I am Set to pick up the Anvil None the less in a few days . so it will be mine !

Well unless Postman himself has pronounced on it the serial number on the left and the hourglass depression are specifics for HB's  Now Trenton made the Black Prince anvils; but that's not what you said this one said right?  HB also made a large number of anvils that were marked for other firms. (Sears IIRC was one of them)

Correct I will have to do a bit of cleaning on it when it gets home Thomas and a good rubbing with some chalk and eyeing to get all the information I can "see" so far everything I have got and posted has been from and over the phone from the current owner I will have it at home this weekend and be able to give it a good look over .