I Forge Iron

Bees want their wax back

dognose

Anyone run into this problem? I was just applying a mixture of boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits and beeswax to some finished pieces and within minutes I was run out of the shop by bees. I used to keep honey bees and never had a fear of them until several dozen found their way under my hood and sent me to the hospital. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous around them now. I really love the look of the finish but wonder if I'll ever be able to safely apply it without sending out smoke signals and attracting bees.

Once we remove the honey comb from the frame, we put the empty frames outside for the bees to reclaim any residual honey. The clean it well over the next couple of days. Once cleaned, they loose interest in the residual wax. 

Bees may be attracted to the aroma of the wax thinking there was honey or other food value in the area. 

Add your location to your profile and there may be someone close to your area that can help.

I keep bees too, and they just seem to like the scent from hot beeswax.  Up here we are cold enough that africanized are not an issue (yet), and I try to keep mine well fed on diverse food sources and unstressed about other issues which makes them quite calm.  If the doors of the shop are open when I'm doing something with beeswax in the summer I just gently shoo them away.  If and or when I develop an allergy my attitude may change.  

Microcrystaline waxes are a reasonable substitute in blacksmith's home-brewed  finish and don't seem to attract my girls.  

Yes, although I haven't been stung. Bees tend to get into my shed and my spare frames when it's warm. Wax moths too sometimes. Did you pick up an allergy from the stings? Might be a good idea to keep an epi-pen around.

Not sure if I'm allergic now, I seem to remember the Dr. saying it was a possibility. Because I was stung in the head about seven times, it temporarily affected my ability to breath. I'm not really a go to the hospital type guy, but when it becomes difficult to draw a breath, I got concerned. We do have an Epi-pen around, probably expired. When I do return to bee keeping, I'm going to invest in a one piece suit.

On a side note, after the bees cleared the shop I returned to applying the finish but with the metal not quite so hot. Significantly less smoke = far fewer bees. They're amazing creatures, and deserving of respect. Especially  when in numbers.