I Forge Iron

impuriry burn!

Got the forge fired up for the first time the other day. The hard wood charcoal did the trick to get my all coke forge to start.

hearing about the gloved dangers i did the not so smart thing and started beating some rebar flat. And one of the red hot impuritys jumped off the metal and landed on the back of my hand burning all the hair off of it and leaving a nice 1/4 inch deep searing burn mark also.

Lesson learned, gloves on my tong hand!

started beating some rebar flat. And one of the red hot impuritys jumped off the metal and landed on the back of my hand.

Lesson learned, gloves on my tong hand!

It may not have been the right conclusion.

Rebar is rather low on the metals list. Impurities is the key word here. Sometimes it is not the same material on the same bar stock.

A 1/4 inch deep searing burn mark means you did not spit quick enough or get to the slack tub fast enough. To burn 1/4 inch deep takes a long while and is a LOT of burning of flesh.

Glove or no glove, I hope you were wearing safety glasses. 

There's a good chance it was a clinker from the fire nothing in the steel. If you don't brush the piece from the fire at least give it a rap on the side of the anvil to knock the crud off.

Another delight of gloves being you just have NOT lived till a piece of hot crud lands in the glove. It's not as bad as in your shoe but it's a close runner up.

Frosty The Lucky.

Turns out the nerves in my left hand dont function properly. and the natural instinct to pull away from something extreamly hot doesnt work... a spot on my hand felt a little warm but this is arizona in the sun, didnt think much of it until i smelled burning hair