I Forge Iron

Forge values

Ohio_82

Im going to look at a smithing setup tomorrow. It includes 2 anvils and 2 forges. One forge is a rivit forge with a hand pump blower, and the other i got no other description than it has an electric blower. I know that is not much info but im trying to get an idea of value and what i should offer for it. Thanks Anthony

There were 2 rivet forges lists on CL in my area last month for $100 each. They had the pump style blowers, and were listed for quite a bit before selling.

The last 2 that I bought had the hand crank blowers, and were shop sized. One Buffalo, and one Champion? $75, and $100.

Of course prices vary greatly due to location, and other factors.

Whatever you do , do not pay more than YOU can comfortably afford. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Rivet forges are not that great for someone wanting to get deep into smithing and often the sellers want "antique" prices.  If it's in excellent working order especially the blower then I might suggest going as high as US$150

However forges are so cheap and simple to build I wonder why folks buy the little ones myself!

Now bigger ones with cast iron replaceable fire pots can be quite useful if the firepot is in good condition, (look at the prices of replacing one---replacing the one in my large "rr forge" is over 3 times what I bought the forge for!)

In general larger hand crank blowers are easier to use than small ones  and Ohio is the happy hunting grounds for smithing stuff!

Thanks for the reply guys. Im mainly interested in the anvils, but the seller only wants to sell it all as a package deal. They have a 125 pound peater wright anvil and another 120 pound anvil that they are unsure of the make. The two forges, 8 sets of tongs and 2 hammers. They are asking 650. But like i said im really only lookinf at the snvils and will probably sell the forges and probably the lesser of the two anvils. I just want to make sure i offer a fair price for everything. Thanks Anthony

I think $650 is in the ballpark of a reasonable offer if the stuff is quality.  I've seen a lot of people wanting $2/lb for an anvil that was beat to a pulp and near useless.

Value the tongs as $20 a pair unless they're not factory-made.  That's more expensive than you can find them at a flea market, but far cheaper than you could buy them brand new.  The cost averages out, and they will come in handy one day.

The rivet forge doesn't bring much to the table unless it's in fantastic shape.  Maybe a max value of $200 if the blower's immaculate and the main body isn't rusted all to pieces.

The other forge with the electric blower could be a doozy.  If it's a larger industrial type forge, you've got something.  The commercially-made cast iron fire pot and tuyere is worth $200 just by itself.  if you went to buy it brand new, you couldn't get it for less than $250 plus shipping.

Is the electric blower an antique that came with the forge?  Or is is some modern garbage salvaged from a car and jerry-rigged to work?

If the larger forge is just a big home-made jobby with a cheap squirrel cage blower and brake drum fire pot.... you got nothing more than scrap value.   It would save you the time and energy of making one on your own, but it also locks you down into someone else's idea on size and layout.

Well nothing was really as described. The peater wright was not a 125 pounder. It was a 116 pound anvil. The markings on the side are 1-0-4. The othe anvil was an 89 pound anvil but i was unable to make out the name. It had an arm and hammer symbol on it, but i could not read the stamped in lettering. The forges were kinda a crap shoot both of them had rusted out pans. The rivet forge hand pump blower needed work as well. The other blower was not an electric blower, but a hand crank one. Its a canedy otto. It is setting on a pedistool. There were a total of 17 tongs but they are a bit rusted.

I over payed but i bought the peater wright, the blower and the tongs. She was willing to slit it up for me. I payed 350 and she tossed in a few hammers and a stack of smithing books. The anvil is in fair shape with a few nicks on the face and the edges. I will try and post a few pics up tonight or tomorrow. Thanks Anthony

If the arm and hammer were raised it was a Vulcan (low quality), if they were stamped in it was an Arm and Hammer brand (good quality).

I find tongs for $5 a pair in my area. Rust isn't an issue. I just soak them in old oil out of my diesel until they loosen up.

As for over paying, look at it this way. You can now start working, and making money with your hobby instead of looking for equipment. In reality, what you paid wasn't too far out of line for today's pricing. Now post some pictures on the It followed me home thread so we can see your new toys.

I don't think you overpaid a bit.  It might have been the high side of fair, but it was still a fair price for what you got.

17 pairs of tongs would have taken you awhile to collect if you had to drive around to five flea markets and yard sales.  Figure in your time and gas.  The rust is irrelevant.  Tools in the smithy are going to rust unless you keep the place air-conditioned year round, and rust doesn't degrade their functionality.

A decent size anvil in decent condition....  and you got it for significantly less than $2/lb.  What's to hate about that?

Books, hammers, blower - all good stuff for the shop.  The hammers will come in handy down the road, and would have cost $5 per if you bought them at flea markets.

It's all good.  Post pictures when you can.

I posted up some pics in the it followed me home thread. I did good on it. Im happy with it and in the end thats all that really matters. Im planning on getting the forge fired up for the first time this week. I can't wait. I have to do my smithing outside for now until I can figure out how to rearrange my garage to fit my small set up in. Thanks for the advice guys. Im still on the hunt for a heavier anvil and may have found one but that's another tread. Thanks Anthony