I Forge Iron

Locomotives and hardy holes

So, I was at the Kennesaw Museum of Civil War and Locomotive history this morning, to take a look at the General, a train that was stolen down here by Union irregulars during the Civil War.

One of the other exhibits they had, was what was left of a foundry/machine shop from Marietta, Ga. that had put out small steam engines for awhile, then moved on to other things.  Lots of cool casting patterns, and sundry bits and pieces from their machine shop.

One of the things I spotted was this little guy, kinda off to one side and lonely, near an overhead belt driven lathe and a few similar things.

Kinda hard to tell, because it's so low, but this (Trenton-ish?) looking guy is easily in the 350 lb range.  Didn't see any markings on the side I could get to, and had a 3 on the front right foot if you face the horn. 

But what really kills me is that monster hardy. It's gotta be around 15 lbs or more, maybe a bunch more. You know, for when you've had your Wheaties and just kinda feel like cold cutting the two inch stock this morning. It was welded onto a 1.5 inch bar on one side that sat in the hardy hole.

The hardy tool may be a cold hardy. We don't often see cold hardies anymore, but they used to be manufactured. I have an old Heller Bros one, but much smaller than that pictured. The included angle was normally 60 degrees. The workpiece was usually notched with hand hammer or sledge and then broken over the anvil edge or in the vise.

Reference blunt anvil horns, we don't know the history of most anvils. I envision lots of anvils languishing on the ground behind a barn for years. A little boy with a claw hammer could have a ball mushrooming the horn end.

Another source of blunt horns is guys running into them with their legs, a blunt horn only hurts a lot, a sharp one hurts a huge pile of swear words LOTS.

That is a BIG hot cut hardy. Makes me wonder how big the guy swinging the sledge was.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well this was out of a machine shop/foundry in Marietta, Georgia, that made steam engines (locomotive) from around the civil war up until....ummmm......? And then shut down altogether in the 50s.

They had a small steam engine built by the shop, and all kind of antique machining tools. The motor that turned the overhead belts for the machines was an OLD school Westinghouse, in about as nice a shape as I've seen one.