I Forge Iron

Oscillation; another view

Story supposedly true. One of the old Hobart stick welding instructors was noticeably palsied, yet when he struck an arc, he was steady as could be. Even when oscillating, he slowed it to near perfection. Most students were amazed by this and during the second day of class, one student asked, "Why don't you shake when you're welding?" The old boy answered, "Learned to weld 'fore I learned to shake!"

Tremors are worse when we try to relax so when we move in a deliberate way they diminish, even go away completely. A couple of my welding instructors could hardly write on the chalk board or keep coffee in a cup but put a stinger in their hand and they were smooth as silk.

I like that answer better though Frank. It'll go right into my pithy sayings file.

Frosty The Lucky.

Like my high school welding teacher said " everyone's welding shake is like a finger print - everyone has their own" - but now look through a magnifying glass and your mind tells your hands to shake less as needed. - course coffee amounts come into play with me.