I Forge Iron

Ever thought about it all?

Ever thought about it all? I mean how many people on a daily basis expeirience steel, or ANYTHING for that matter in excess of temperatures exceeding 2,000F?!?! Let alone take that steel and shape it on an thought to be only in cartoons tool(anvil), and using a hammer?!?!? For blade guys, following a careful and somewhat mystical method of heating and cooling to produce a length of steel that is both hard, flexible, tough and able to take a razor edge and hold it? I don;t know about you guys and gals, but i think that is mindblowing:D. There are people who in there whole life will not see something hotter than a kitchen oven, cut with nothing better than mass produced steel, never expeirience the thrill of making something that will last 100s of years, maybe longer. I know why I teach:D.

thats the biggest thing that keeps me going at this, im not saying anything bad about other jobs, my brother works on computers, next year everything he worked on this year will be in the trash and he'll be working on some new one, he has a great job and makes good money, but to know that i just produced something that will be around for 100 - 200 years - maybe longer, that just amazing, and the fact that i just shaped something thats known for its strength and hardness

Sam,
I regularly tell people that my biggest hobby is banging iron. They always seem amazed that someone would actually still do that kind of stuff and ask if it's hard. I always tell them that I work in the 1800 to 2100 degree range (this gets the :o look) and at that temp, it's like hitting hard clay. The biggest problem is the potential for burns.

Talk to a blacksmith that like their father, was a blacksmith. It gets really deep when your child wants to be like you, and be a blacksmith.

There is really no better feeling than to be able to pass the craft on to the next person or to the next generation. Working with your hands to make things that will outlast you is wonderful. Just remember to take the time to add your personality and craftsmanship to everything you make.

I know what you mean.. I love it!! I love being able to tell people when they ask, "Yes, I really am a Blacksmith!" Often people think I am joking until I show them my hands and the burns on my arms to prove it!

It does feel a little bit magical after you've created something! And I also love showing people what I do- they are always interested to see a red hot bit of metal twisted about.

Whats more, here in Scotland they still perform marriages over then Anvil. I have heard that a Blacksmith can perform the ceremony, but I don't actually know if that is still true today.

I was really floating through life without too much direction before I discovered blacksmithing. I remember staring at my computer screen at work wondering if this was really all life was about. Sitting in front of a computer 5 days a week, getting a few good years of retirement, and then you croak.

Blacksmithing really turned my perspective on life around 180 degrees. As soon as I picked up a hammer for the first time, I knew right away that I had found my calling. Financially it's been difficult getting started, but doors are starting to open for me, and to tell you the truth, I don't really care about the money that much any more. I'll be happy just getting by for the rest of my life if that what it takes. My main goal is to have a hammer in my hand when I kick the bucket, and hopefully make some cool stuff between then and now! :D