I Forge Iron

Strikers anvil question

I have a hunk of 1 1/4"X 4" A36 and am wondering if this would make an acceptable strikers anvil. My main intention for this is making bottom tools.The ones I have seen seem to be 2" thick or more. It seems a bit on the thin side to me for the intended purpose but if that were the case then I could cut it in half  and weld it to make a 2 1/2"X 4" piece. So use it as is or stack it and weld it thicker? (if I had to go the hard route, I would bevel a 1" deep by 1 1/2" groove all the way around then weld) Thoughts?

-Crazy Ivan

Whatever you do with the anvil bring it to the NEB spring meet, I'll strike for you if you ask nice!  

That being said, what is the third dimension of the piece?  If it's 1.25 by 4 by 6, don't bother.  If it's 1.25x4x40" then cut it in half, weld it up, and stand on end or edge.

Sorry, its 24" long. I have 2 anvils already and don't need this to function as anything other then a tool for making bottom tools so I would be putting a 1" and a 7/8" hardie hole in it (one on either end).  I definitely will try my darndest to make it to the spring meet this year. I usually get too psyched out and bail on most social event because meeting new people terrifies me for some reason, but I will make a point to force myself to go this time.

-Crazy Ivan

Edit, I think I would be describing what I mean to do with it better if I were calling it a swage block, only with just  2 sq holes and a small face.

I would certainly cut it shorter just because you don't need a 2' striking anvil, but I wouldn't double the thickness.  1.25" is plenty stiff over a short span (the distance between the legs), and you could always weld some angle iron to the underside to stiffen it further if you saw any deformation during use.  

So I decided to cut it in half and groove it out and weld it up. I'm going to do it at work because I have access to better welding machines then what I have in my shop, plus...a waterjet! No drilling and drifting hardy holes for me!  The finished size will be 2.5"thick X 4"wide X 10" long with 1" and 7/8" hardy holes (one on either end). I will post pics once I have it completed.

-Crazy Ivan