I Forge Iron

Vice accessory question

mike60510

I have an old vice that I received from my grandfather.  He worked for the railroad back in the 1930's and 1940's.  The vice appears to have been used by a blacksmith.   It has a hand cranked fan used to stoke a firebox that would have been on the end of the view. 

The vice has an accessory that’s always puzzled me.  It includes a gear-driven cylinder with a 1/2 inch bore located underneath the clamp heads.  The cylinder can be rotated by a hand crank on the front of the vice.  The bore in the cylinder matches up with a hole that extends through the vice.   I’m guessing it was for some sort of rod.

Can anyone help me identify what the initial purpose of this accessory?

post-22538-0-73542100-1393882811_thumb.j

post-22538-0-20718900-1393882818_thumb.j

post-22538-0-32234900-1393882824_thumb.j

Greetings Mike
The extra parts are for a grinding wheel attachment. They hooked up to a mandrel . There should be a hole in the base for the shaft. Common set up for early vise anvil combo set ups .
Forge on and make beautiful things
Jim

The patent # were put on where ever they had a flat surface for the foundry type.  I could be anywhere on the body.  But some manufacturers made copies of other vises, and did not mark their product in any way.  You might not find any markings on you vise.