I Forge Iron

Hello from VA

Hi everyone. I am new to smithing. I own/run a fabrication business that mostly specializes in motorcycles and drag cars and such.

I kayak and camp and what started the idea of building a forge is I wanted to make a camp knife and hatchet and needed enough heat to heat treat them so I bult a coal forge...well a small tank supplied with coal and compressor air that sucessfully makes enough heat to melt the knife I made.  

Since I have built a larger indoor coal forge and have had good luck with it. Still not big enough to get all the metal to temp for hardening. So.....I built a huge propane forge/furnace/flame thrower that does the trick nicely and now Im hooked and have been making knives and hatchets and of course all the tools I need. I seem to spend most of my time making tools. Its a good break from the paint booth and powdercoat booth.

I have found a lot of good info here and visit often but this is my first real post. I have tons of pics but none on the computer yet. Ill load them soon to show my way over built contraptions.

"Way overbuilt" is rather common with smiths---I once hung a porch swing on the tent frame I had built and had 500 pounds of folks swinging on it...

"If Blacksmiths had designed the Titanic they would still have been handing out free snowcones when they steamed into New York Harbour!"

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I see by your post you're encountering the addictive qualities of blacksmithing, you might be surprised at how may blacksmiths got into it because they wanted just that ONE tool, cabinet makers are a really large demographic of blacksmith converts. Me? I just like playing with fire and hitting things with hammers.

Frosty The Lucky.