I Forge Iron

existing chimney mod

Ok so I've been trying to figure out how to do this for about a week or so now and I think I've got it. But before I do anything drastic I want your advice.

I have a cinderblock chiminey in me shop that a previous owner had a wood stove hooked up to. I want to build a side draft forge on to it, and my theory is to put my forge tabel right next to the chiminey and bust a hole in the chiminey wall and then add a stainless side draft hood between my fire pot and the chiminey.

Does anyone see any major flaws in this idea? The chiminey is 12in in diameter.post-50832-0-40629700-1393365668_thumb.j

Greetings Redbeard,

It will work with 12 in but I wood consider how you will heat your shop..   Its easier to stack out a forge than a wood stove..   Also consider your work pattern .   Anvil position , forge , slack tub , tools ect.  

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

No smoke is good enough. Almost enough said, but...

Two considerations:

A side draft hood should have an opening no bigger than the chimney cross section. That way you get higher velocity (the chimney pulls the same volume, but when you widen the cross section that drops velocity). It "sucks" better. Looking at how your flame is operating, you're basically getting all your draft from the opening anyway. You could pull that hood off entirely and it would be about the same. Shrink that hood to just the dimensions of the chimney opening and you will get better performance (especially early on, when the cold chimney makes for a weak draft).

The corner location is awkward for long stock. I have a fairly small "smithy", but my forge is in the middle of the wall and I can heat the middle of a 10'+ piece of stock.

Greetings Redbeard,

IMO too much wood in the area and the charcoal bag too close...  Ya need a big fire with charcoal ..  Please proceed with caution..   Not my cup of tea..

Forge on with caution

Jim

haha I will! i wont be forging until i have fire protection surrounding the forge. I just got a little excited and wanted to fire it up...  :D