I Forge Iron

Another ID my anvil (steel and near new)

Hello everyone!

Can someone help me ID my anvil?

She weighs 35kg, has markings ASBB on it (99% sure it's that, but it's possible that a letter is deformed).

And it also mentions N°1 as seen in the pictures.

Edges are very sharp, has an oddly shaped hardy hole (it doesn't go through, but goes through the side) and also has a round hole in the back.

She also sings like a bell and bounces as good or better as the many 200-400kg anvils I tried at my local blacksmithshop (almost all made of steel).

I still have to do the ball-bearing test.

I got this one from my uncle who asked around and got this one from a retired blacksmith.

It was/is located in Belgium, but like most anvils it can come from all over the world!

Really interested in knowing more about my anvil or about the company who made it.

Many searches in books and the internet were unsuccessful... Hopefully someone knows it's origin.

If there is any more info I can give, please ask! 

PS: It's all dirty now because I covered it in old and hard oil to protect it against moisture and rust.

post-51327-0-37248100-1392898676_thumb.j

post-51327-0-73379200-1392898684_thumb.j

post-51327-0-77809900-1392898689_thumb.j

post-51327-0-10426000-1392898695_thumb.j

post-51327-0-66649300-1392898699_thumb.j

Caotropheus: It's much different to that as you see by the photo's.

At also has a funny loop between the legs (also seen on the pictures) and the hardy hole is placed somewhere else.

The face is also bit bigger than the base on mine, which I have never seen before (totally not an expert btw).

Njanvilman: Thank you, but I find it very odd that I have some kind of logo/markings/name without finding any information about it.

I have been using it for around 3 years without asking myself, but I decided to do a search on the internet and didn't find anything. Now I am really really curious!

I'll try to turn it around this weekend to check the bottom for you. I'll upload a pic.

Don't exactly know what you mean with cavity: do you mean that it's partly hollow or do you mean that you can see through the legs? If the second, then yes (but that was obvious from the photo's, so I think you mean the first).

Does anyone have a clue were she is from or any info about the maker?

The side exit hardy is only found on French pattern anvils AFAIK.  At least I have never seen them on any other type. There was a B. Broussard anvil maker about a century ago.

post-114-0-21502700-1392947799_thumb.jpg

I have a small stump anvil almost identical to one that Matchless Antiques' proprietor acquired from the Tim Kris collection.  Both have the odd placement.

post-114-0-16519400-1392947713_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-17778900-1392947744_thumb.jpg

Thank you John McPherson!
The top image is indeed identical to my anvil!
Do you happen to have a bit more info on this B. Broussard? Or the source where you found the name?
I tried searches in both English and French, but there are thousands of B. Broussard's that are documented online. I tried all variations on 'B. Broussard anvil' and was unsuccesfull :(.
Except for the weird hardy hole, I really like this anvil! Wonderfull horn and face, sharp corners and great rebound. I actually highly prefer it to the big anvils most smiths prefer. If you see one in good shape: Highly recomended! (I saw another 35kg one sell for over 150€!)

The side hardy hole is sometimes handy: My hardy tool (only got one as of today) is very snug and thus gets stuck when worked with hot metal. Getting it out only requires a hit in the hole with my poking stick, getting it out if the hole would go through the bottom would be impossible.

Many thanks to all of you for helping me out! Hopefully I'll find the location of this anvil maker, maybe it's a museum of some kind.

Thank you! I found the post, mine is indeed very close to the one on Anvilfire.

Probably indeed made by B. Bissaud. Mine is a bit different, but certainly inspired/made by these.

II'll take my anvil to my studio and also take some pictures for Anvilfire, seems like a great collection!

PS: Why are links forbidden?