I Forge Iron

Fisher Eagle Anvil info wanted

I recently picked up this little beauty. From reading the forums extensively, I believe she's a Fisher Norris Eagle from around 1870. Other than the raised eagle emblem on the side, I've found no other markings. She is 105 lbs, face is pretty flat other than the obvious wear on the corners, and seems solid. Bottom surface is also flat. I have yet to put the metal to her, but the weather is improving and hopefully we'll get to know each other better soon. (I better stop, this is starting to sound creepy.)

I know we have some very informed members and am hoping someone can confirm my beliefs and possibly answer another question. Is the groove on the underside of the tip of the horn a defect or a design feature? I can swear I've seen something similar before but have no idea what it would be suited for. Any other info you feel inclined to share would be appreciated as well.

post-45401-0-42821200-1392769110_thumb.jpost-45401-0-54821000-1392769147_thumb.jpost-45401-0-71439600-1392769177_thumb.j

John

Your anvil is a FISHER, made from about 1860 to 1870.   It has the small round Eagle, holding wheat stalks.  The defect under the horn could be a break of the iron layer just under the steel.  It is hard to tell from the picture.  Your anvil has taken a beating; it is one of the most worn FISHER anvils of this era that I have seen.

Any other questions?