I Forge Iron

Hammer and Tongs

John Martin

Mine are currently on the floor as i'm in a new shop. Think about where you want them to be for easy reach. Then you also want the heads to be visible so you can switch out easily. It can actually help quite a bit to have a place for each hammer so you know when one goes missing. Either needs to hold the head on 2 places or the head in one place and the handle in a second place. Doesn't have to be exceptional, just functional. The best thing for you to do is to think up a few designs on your own BEFORE you look anywhere for an idea. Then, if you don't feel comfortable building an untested design, look up some other designs here in the blueprint section. Use the information you see there to adjust your design if you can now see flaws in it. otherwise, just build it and be happy.

For a round tong rack I use old steel wheelbarrow wheels. For a linear hammer rack I took the base from an old aquarium and bolted on a couple of pieces of scrap steel pipe, water or gas doesn't make a difference, seperated by just enough space for the hammer handles---it held over 70 of them and is sturdy---aquariums full of water are heavy too!.

In my new shop I have a steel wheelbarrow wheel rack for the tongs I don't use often. The tongs I use all the time hang on 1/2" rod that I bent out like an old curtin rod "]" and bolted to my hammer stand; a heavy welded angle iron support for a not very wide workbench that I was given that I bolted some pipe too. It even has a shelf underneath it for hardy tools.

Well, I've made up some different designs, for when my parents move, we are moving to 13 acres of land, and they said that they would build a shop with me, my dad and i. I'm to have a central forge in the middle...forget this, i'll post the blueprints later tonight.

Pault17- I never really checked to be exact. When I had the NC whisper daddy it seemed to do quite well. The last 3 burner I had (in the photo) was a real gas hog, even just running 2 burners. At Quad State I bought a new single burner, mid-sized, forge from the nice folks at Chile Forge. I havent got to use it but once yet so I cant say, it can run on a much lower pressure so I expect it to be quite a bit better on fuel.

I realize that was a long post & still didnt really answer the question, just my experience.

for small work I use an NC Tool Co Whisper Baby single burner venturi forge, and it's about the most frugal propane forge i've ever seen. After getting it up to temp, I can turn it down to ~4 to 5lbs pressure and I can get around 20 hours of forging from a 20lb tank.

My welding propane forge (single burner, blown forge) however freezes a 20lb tank right up after 10 to 15 minutes.

As for holding tools... I'm using a mid 1800s blacksmithing bench I picked up for 40$ this spring. the whole top, and the bottom shelf are each one massive 2 foot wide by 2.5 feet long boards. You just dont see boards that size anymore.

http://www.tharkis.com/images/toolbench.jpg