I Forge Iron

Help with Hand Crank Blower

PaulKrzysz

Today when using my blower i noticed a little play between the blower and the stand. After a few more hours of cranking it got real loose, finally something popped and the blower was resting 45 degrees to the rest of the frame. What went loose and broke was a little pin that was seated in the bottom right hand side of the blower. (Second Picture)

The blower is made by 'Canadian Blower and forge co', they where the company Buffalo setup in Canada.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I am not sure whether or not this was the original stand for the thing. The arm which holds the blower up was brazed to a cast iron wheel, and I know that was not original. 

Can you guys post picture of the stand you made yourselves for your own blowers?

Thanks

post-27777-0-56123100-1391822712_thumb.j

post-27777-0-23230400-1391822729_thumb.j

post-27777-0-31637400-1391822746_thumb.j

post-27777-0-78642400-1391822763_thumb.j

Okay, I changed my entire mind after looking at your blower again.  The photos are that great, but I'm not seeing a clamshell type of separation line between the two halves that are surrounding horizontal bar of the stand.  That leads me to believe that you've got the operation backwards, so to speak.  The cylinder on the bottom of the blower is the male part that goes with the female part (clamshell) that's on the stand.

I found a picture of one on ebay.  See how the part of the stand wraps around the bottom of the blower and is snugged down with bolts?  I think that's what yours is supposed to be doing.

$(KGrHqZ,!qQFDtBfin4lBRDGITcmVQ~~60_57.J

$(KGrHqF,!pMFC3r,2fElBRDGIwPgNw~~60_57.J

Another option, also from ebay, is a bracket that mounts directly to the forge body.  This example has parallel lines inside the fork that very closely match what you have on your blower.

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

Hope this helps, hoss.  Brackets are out there, but I think you'd be better off just making something that better fits your needs.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.

I fixed the probelm a few weeks ago by removing the former pin from the bracket, and putting in a new 1/4'' bolt.

While working yesteday the bolt sheered off again, I believe this is a result of the cold. I had to be -15C yesterday.

I do not like this stand at all because the brazing which connected the cast iron wheel to the vertial arms has popped and the entire thing is sloppy, moving in all directions.

I will have to weld up a new stand for this it seems.

Thomas Powers, would you be able to take a few pictures of the stand you have and upload them for me? The most important part for me is how the stand connects to the cast iron shell.

Thank you

You're lucky the cross-bolt sheared instead of the cast iron body giving way.

That "hole" in the cylinder on the bottom of your blower is a pass-through for a tightening bolt that snugs the clamshell of the stand to the blower body.

Cut a piece of 2" pipe in half lengthwise.  Drill a hole in the middle for the pass-through bolt and weld on some legs.  

Or, take some lengths of 2"x1/8" flat stock and fuller them in the corner between the cutting table and face of the anvil.  It wouldn't have to be perfectly round; a v-block set up will work.  Again, a hole in the middle for the clamping bolt.

Or, two pieces of larger angle iron, with a hole in the middle. 

The grooves in the mounting arm I showed are supposed to mate to the ridge on your blower body.  This keeps it from rotating in the clamp so you don't have to torque down on the clamping bolt.  You could get the same effect by simply sticking some thin pieces of wood or gasket material between the two so there's a good surface for the metal to bite in to.