I Forge Iron

New smith in Baton Rouge

rmagee223

Just wanted to introduce myself.  I am new to blacksmithing and have only made a few small hooks and a fire poker.  I have been lurking on the board for a few weeks and have learned a lot. 

I am glad there is a forum for help and safety topics for those of us without access to other smiths.

Ahh I remember a number of smiths in the Baton Rouge are that frequent these boards  are you sure you are "without access to other smiths"???  Some real nice folks.  Perhaps a search on Baton and chck for the folks with that as their location.

Traditionally we get a lot of folks saying there are no nearby smiths till they find out there is a dozen in easy driving distance...one fellow found one a couple of blocks away!

• 2 weeks later...

Gulf Coast Blacksmith Association is having a meeting Saturday February 22 in Covington La. This is a short drive for you to meet 25-40 local blacksmiths. We have a short business meeting at 10am followed by a demonstration at the main forge. There are seven forges set up for members to use the rest of the day.
Even if you don't join you are welcome to stay and learn as much as you can. Look me up if you visit and I will show you around.
Chuck Averett
www.gulfcoastblacksmith.com