I Forge Iron

Misc hammers from 2013

FieryFurnace

Sometimes I get to make hammers, which is a nice change from production work and just generally regular blacksmithing.

Here are a few highlights from 2013. My dad strikes for me, and some is also done under the tire hammer. When I do get to make hammers, I make them out of 1045 most of the time, but sometimes I use 4140.
This hammer has decorative cheeks and a heavy scotch bright finish. I think it was a 4 or 4.5 pounder.

image_zpse337cc28.jpg

image_zpsb01876d9.jpg

Here is another decorative cheek hammer with no handle. I think it was about a 3 or 3.5 pounder. These are tough to make because if you slip with the dies, it will beat up the ridges.
image_zps6fa0f1cc.jpg

Here are two cross peens in the 2.5 to 3 pound range. One of these is 4140 just because I had it in the right size. This first one was made with smaller radius fuller dies, while the second picture is of one done with the bigger dies. The smaller dies give kind of a neat look, just to mix things up a bit.
image_zps5bc812b8.jpg

This is the one done with the bigger dies, and I did "hollow" cheeks on this one. Hollow cheeks look kind of neat to me.
image_zps1403eaec.jpg

I did this hammer just to be different. I didn't particularly love this hammer, but it was sort of neat looking.
image_zpsb08493e2.jpg

And so there! Those are highlight hammers of 2013. Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Love it!

I see my hammer in there! =)

I must add that Dave has been great to deal with since my very first purchase from him. One of my hammers arrived with a warped handle, it is the nature of wood. Dave was not to blame, despite my attempts to buy new handles, he sent me new ones for free! 

Dave has made me a total of 4 hammers now, 3 rounding hammers in various weights and a cross peen as seen above. He's also made me two hot cut hardies.

Great to deal with, quick to get back to me, and always helpful. I'll be purchasing many more things from Dave in the future!