I Forge Iron

This is worth sharing

Some principles I learned here on IFI from member, beammeupscotty. " Function, execution, aesthetics, and surface. These are all things you should be thinking about as you design and make a piece of iron work". As I have been thinking about these principles, I did a little research and discovered that Marcus Vitruvius Pollio the Roman architect, engineer and author first asserted in his book De architectura that a structure must exhibit the three qualities of firmitas, utilitas, venustas – that is, it must be solid, useful, beautiful.

Just thought I would share.

COLDIRON, What you've posted is good, and it reminded me of some original thought that a metal sculptor shared with me. He stated that "We are design prejudiced." He said that we tend to think of iron as cold, hard, heavy, and strong. He felt that if a person could make something that was antagonistic to those four qualities, that he/she would really have something. Let's say, a chair whose texture made it look warm, soft, and inviting. It would appear light in weight, and not weak, but rather delicate in shape. Food for thought.

Interesting, Frank, I think your metal sculptor is insightful.
I always considered everything on or near the tailgate of my truck to be; hard, heavy, hot, and sharp. All should be viewed as negative when considering ones own or another's safety. Might be an interesting experiment to view a hot piece of iron coming out of the forge as something warm, supple, willing, and interested in a new beginning. Could have a positive affect on ones work. Now that's worth thinking about.