I Forge Iron

steel bucket forge?

oldtownblacksmith

Hey guys, I have built a couple of coal forges before. And i wanted to try building my first gas forge. I orded the kaowool and plistix and built my own burner using a design i found online. but i was just wondering if the body can be made out of a old steel gardening pail i have laying around? it is really thin and i was wondering if it would hold up to the heat. any help would be much appreciated, Thank You.   

I have seen propane forges made with *no* outer shell at all just rolled up the kaowool and used baling wire to tie it so it didn't unroll.  I have seen chickenwire shells, I have seen popcorn tin shells.  As you as you have enough insulation that any galvanization doesn't burn off you are fine.

Jack 'o' forge! Now there's a concept :D Speaking of no shell, next forge I build is for a friend; using lathe screening for "shell" for wool with inside coated nicely with refractory mortar. May coat outside too but maybe not. As you say Thomas, The forge just needs a way to hold its shape. 2" of wool is sufficient that, save for the burner inlet, I almost think a cardboard tube would work in a pinch (Don't try this at home ;) ) My freon tank gets too hot to handle for long bare handed but I don't think paper would burn on contact....

I love the idea of the jacko'forge. Add a few spices and have desert after work!

On a serious note, all the outer shell does is keep the ceramic fibers contained and provide support. An old friend of mine made his gas forge with a spittoon shaped chamber mounted vertically under a refractory table. I've made demo forges with Kaowool and hardware cloth.

Frosty The Lucky.