I Forge Iron

New Anvil, help with ID?

Hello - I'm new here, and new to blacksmithing, but I've been reading around the forums a bit as they come up regularly in my searching. I picked up my first anvil today (I had an ASO before). The guy selling it thought it was a newer no-name anvil and about 135 lbs.

I think that i's actually a 171 LB Peter Wright. Of that much, I am reasonably sure, but I'm wondering what else you folks can tell me about it (like an approximate age?). The only other marking I can find is a Z with a couple of dots.

He also threw in a bunch of stock, a hot cut hardy and a couple of hammers. I've attached pictures of the hammers and hardy too in case anyone knows anything about those.

Edit: sorry about the small pictures. The forum shrank my originals.

Yes, that is for fast viewing. If you wish to see larger images, just click on the thumbnail

post-51279-0-84186300-1390784249_thumb.j

post-51279-0-92734700-1390784251_thumb.j

post-51279-0-43367300-1390784273_thumb.j

post-51279-0-36090600-1390784275_thumb.j

post-51279-0-53773200-1390784276_thumb.j

post-51279-0-07684900-1390784531_thumb.j

post-51279-0-75366200-1390784669_thumb.j

At the top of photo 1, I see a clear "PET...".  The shape and that remnant of a mark would seem to indicate it's a Peter Wright.  That's  a very good looking anvil.  Perfect size for general smithing.  Figure in the cost of the tools and you got a very good deal.  Heck, just the hot cut would have set you back at least $20 if you'd ordered it online somewhere.

I don't remember where I found the following so I can't give credit where credit is due, but this is something I found when trying to look up my 194 lb PW.  The wording on mine was very hard to discern, but if the sunlight hits it at an angle I'm able to see more than using any other method.  Mine falls into the 1860-1880 category. 

Enjoy putting it back to work, she's a beauty!

"It is difficult to age a PW after 1860 when they went to the now classic London pattern. If it just says PETER WRIGHT PATENT, then likely 1860-late 1880s. If ENGLAND is added, then late 1880 to early 1900s.

The logo was stamped on in parts. Perhaps when someone did your's they simply forgot where to put the SOLID WROUGHT circle or the weight. Occasionally stamps were put on upside down.

Yes, on Peter Wright anvils. Might be an inspector mark or perhaps it meant it was approved for export. A classic sign of a post-1860 PW are small ledges on the front and back feet.

You may have a very early PW since in 1860 on their typical logo was (stacked): PETER WRIGHT PATENT. Then SOLID WROUGHT in a circle usually with the middle weight number stamped in it. About 1910 they added ENGLAND under PATENT.

A way to help bring out lettering is to lay on side and dust with flour. Brush off excess. What is left in depressions sometimes make stampings very easy to make out. If you do this I'd like to see a photograph of markings. Just click on my name and send as an attachment.

It is not in Anvils in America but I am fairly certain Richard Postman told me Peter Wright did start putting serial numbers on their late production anvils. They started putting ENGLAND on their anvils about 1910 and are thought to have gone out of business about the 1930s.

Peter Wrights seem to be about the most common old anvil in the U.S. judged by the amount which show up on eBay. They must have been exporting them to the U.S. in great quantity. "

Thanks for the info guys. Dan, that repost is great. I'll have to try the flour trick and see if I can get a clearer shot of the markings. I think mine does have an England on it, so it's probably "newer". I'm still not sure what the Z stamp is for.

If you don't count the tools or steel he gave me, I paid $2.19 a pound for it, so I feel like I got a heck of a deal, and didn't even negotiate. Call me superstitious, but if someone gives me a fair price on a tool I never feel right about arguing the point. When I do, they never quite work right for me.

I got to go hammer a bit tonight, and I think I'm in love. After practicing on an ASO that was too tall for the last few weeks, this didn't feel like work at all. That square hammer with the pointed end fits me like a glove too. I think it may be my new favorite. Paired with that anvil, it has great rebound so I can move a lot of metal really fast.