I Forge Iron

Neat Lil Detail Tool

Greetings All,

Yep its time for one of my famous ( WHY DID'NT I THINK OF THAT POST )

This is a tool that I came up with to do that special little detail work on my treadle hammer.. It is a simple tool to make and very versatile .   You can use those broken screwdriver bits or for that matter new ones , paddle drills, or whatever you can dream up..  It is real handy for that special little detail that you don't have a pre made chisel for..  You can use it on hot or cold work but be carful hot the small parts get hot fast so quench often and for sure when you remove the tool from the holder.  Most of these bits are made of pretty good tool steel and can reformed on your grinders..  Just keep them cool and they will stay hard..  I prefer to use a old welding hammer with a squashed ball top formed round for treadle hammer work but you can make one for hammer strike just as easy. I will post pictures on an additional post on how to make them. It will be for a hand held hammer strike version but applies to the one made from a welding hammer. I tried several methods of holding the bit into the socket but a simple rubber band was the winner .. It works the best and is quite replaceable..

All comments and questions are welcome..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-64984800-1389473057_thumb.j

post-30666-0-33996000-1389473083_thumb.j

post-30666-0-02276400-1389473111_thumb.j

Greetings Mike,

Our President Ken G was up to my shop for a quick lesson...   Sent him home with his head spinning and his camera full...  He is coming back for a full days visit...  You are welcome at any time for a romp around the treadle hammer....   Foot stompin fun for all in the future...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim