I Forge Iron

A New Year - A New Start (hopefully)

Happy New Year everyone.

I know that I have been largely absent from this list for a long time but the past few years have been difficult. I've been dealing with life changes and deep depression and have not been very active in any of my crafts for the past 2 years (at least). I'm hoping to change that. 

I've slowly been dragging myself out of the depths of depression, trying to kick-start living again. So far my biggest success has been completing the set up of my stained-glass work bench at home - I even made 2 quick stained glass ornaments for the season. Next on the list is my silver workbench which is mostly complete. Still to come are my woodworking bench and finally my blacksmith shop in my back shed. 

I'm finally starting to pick up some momentum and things are finally happening - I'm taking this as a good sign. I'm looking forward to getting my silver-bench operational. I want to get back into doing some jewelery in silver and copper and even bronze. I picked up some sheet bronze this year and I'm looking forward to playing with it.

The big project will be my smithy. It has sat untouched for too long - it now needs a new roof, but once the shop is complete and operational, I've decided to commemorate the event and and major turning point in my life with a tattoo of my shop logo - but that is still to come.

I want to get more active on this list again. I want to share new projects and hear about your new projects, see your pictures and have some good discussions about topics and ideas

Well, that's it for me for now. I'm hoping to post again soon with more good news.

Happy New Year to everyone.

All the best of Luck, Health and Prosperity in the coming year.

Sam

Keep your head up, things always seem to work out one way or another. Smithing is the only therapy for me that works (almost) every single time :D . I know first hand, its hard to get out of a rut (i'm still digging myself out) but with enough patience and persistence, you can overcome just about anything. 

-Crazy Ivan

Happy New Year from BC Sam !!

glad to hear things are on the upside for you.........looking forward to seeing some pics of your work, stainglass etc and keep us up-to-date with your smithy rebuild.............I think I can speak for most on here and say we all love pictures.............keep your chin up my friend , its a new year ahead and lots to look forward to, and remember also the members and the brotherhood on on here are your friends when required  !!!  

all the best Sam

Rob 

Welcome back.  Making something tangible is my daily therapy.    I must fix, build, repair, or create something every day to have a good day.  My wife says I am hard to take on a vacation(you mean I must leave my tools and shop behind!!).  Sounds like you have many talents. 

Be patient and don't be to hard on yourself.  It seems that you are on the way out of a dark hole so that is good.  Things like that take time and you have lots of things to make in the future with all those benches.  There is magic in creating.  Good luck.   

Sounds like you are most of the way out of that hole, sometimes the last bit can be the most stubborn but you are going in the right direction, your instincts are showing the way. It's an age old, well worn mantra but it works,

"Every day in every way, I am getting better"

I know it sounds corny and facile, but since I was diagnosed with a brain tumour, I find it is a good way to start the day.Good Luck.

Happy New Year.

Welcome back Sam and a Happy , Healthy and Prosperous New Year to you!

I was in Hamilton about 20 yrs. ago looking at a CNC router for the company I work for and always wanted to go back to visit the Aircraft Museum not far from there.

Dick

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and warm welcome back. I realize now how much I've missed this place. Today has been another good day. Did more much needed clean-up in my outbuilding (which will be my smithy). Moved stuff around and got everything in place, ready to move a lower rolling cabinet to my basement for my silver-work bench. However the cold and my aching back forced me back inside the house, so I'll move that cabinet and finish setting up my silver-bench tomorrow.

I've also set up an old 13" tv and dvd player in my basement workspace for those long work sessions.

I'm excited about how things are coming together.

Cheers all and thanks again.

Sam